I’m Kori. I’m a community educator living in Sinixt Territory in occupied British Columbia, Canada. I am a non-binary genderqueer trans person with more than a decade of community facilitation experience. I have specialized in sexual health, harm reduction, community organizing, technical knowledge exchange and radical approaches to wellness.
Recently I left my non-profit job in favour of exploring independent work as a community educator and personal coach. For me this work involves:
- Offering online learning opportunities for queer folks looking to dismantle toxic mythologies
- Offering in person accessible learning opportunities for my community, both in the West Kootenays and across the Pacific West Coast of Turtle Island.
- Offering adult sex-ed parties
- Being available as a coach for folks needing support through transitions (gender or otherwise).
- Hosting my weekly radio show on harm reduction
- Writing on my blog about any and all topics related to my love and work in the world
It is my goal to incite revolution through imagination and play. So, do you want to play with me?
How exactly does one come to do this work? This is a bit of my story of how I got here. As I blog about some of these things I will link in these stories in more detail.
I grew up in a fairly conservative protestant church in a pretty quaint neighbourhood in a small city on an island in the unceded territory of the Coast Salish people. As a kid I was really involved in organizing amongst my peers and in church. When I was 17 I left home for a year on an international exchange, started reading and exploring outside the small world I had come from. I learned to drink and kiss girls and question authority. Within a few years of that I had lived on the road, had my first group sex experience, started exploring psychedelics and was on my way towards the words I would later mind comfort and identity in. Words like trans, genderqueer, queer, pansexual, polyamourous, butch, femme, non-binary, gender rebel, psychonaut, and witch were all around the next bend.
I spent most of my twenties organizing and facilitating as a volunteer or non-profit employee, with a big focus in sexual health and harm reduction workshops. I’ve struggled with mental illness, explored gender transitions, explored fertility + pregnancy, lived with a connective tissue disorder, and pursued healing in many modalities including recovering from being hit by a car on my bike. I’ve loved, I’ve lost, I’ve hurt and been hurt, I’ve fucked up and I’ve tried to keep learning.
Nerding out on learning has actually been a huge focus in my life. You can learn more about where I did all this learning by reading the list at the bottom of this page. Now I am really stoked on finding ways to share the tools I have collected with people who are seeking them. I am really excited to work with people who are on journeys of self discovery including psychedelic awakenings, gender explorations + transitions, coming out and other big life changes.
Valued learning spaces I hold appreciations for:
- Albany Free School/Harriet Tubman Democratic High School community
- AERO & their online school starter course
- BIKE/BIKE and Community bike shops like
- Technology Teacher Education Diploma Program, BCIT
- MAPS “What We Can Learn from Psychedelic Research”
- Emancipating Sexuality‘s “Beyond the Yoni Puppet: Expanding Pedagogical Brilliance for Sex Educators”
- Rain Crowe’s “The Burning Times Never Ended”.
Teachers, ancestors and leaders of path including:
- Leslie Feinberg
- ACT UP
- Grace Lee Boggs
- Sylvia Rivera
- The Merry Pranksters
- Joanna Macy
- Agusto Boal
- Linda Stout
I have over a decade of experience of facilitating groups of all sorts, from after school groups, anti-homophobia/transphobia workshops, sexual health and harm reduction presentations and using popular education and Theatre of the Oppressed practices. Including
- Camp OUT!
- Earth Matters UPCYCLERS
- All Bodies Swim
- Catherine White Hollman Wellness Center.
I have presented at conferences + gatherings including
- Social Spaces Summit (with Mayari Ayala-Weibe; Consent: Building Healthy Practices from Infancy Onwards),
- Pleasure Me This (Empowerment in the Margins: Sexuality and Disability),
- AERO National Conference(Gender Inclusive Spaces in Schools and Community)
- CUQSC (Navigating the Medical System and Intersectional Oppression)
- Gender Odyssey (with Andi Grace and Captain Snowdon; Bodies, Sexuality and Desire).
I have played a leadership role in the delivery of ANKORS harm reduction services at Shambhala Music festival since 2013, including training volunteers in best practice and service delivery of educational info, re-agent tests and destigmatizing conversations about recreational, medicinal and ceremonial substance use.
I have also facilitated workshops with college students, health care service providers, teachers, youth leaders and queer community groups.
I have community based experience in personal coaching and support, specifically around gender, sexuality, healing, political work and substance use including harm reduction and psychedelic support.